Log in


  • Home
  • News
  • CALL TO ACTION - NOW IS THE TIME!

CALL TO ACTION - NOW IS THE TIME!

December 15, 2020 4:40 PM | Anonymous

Call To ACTION!!!

NOW is the Time!


The COVID-19 crisis continues to impact all facets of our lives. For property owners and managers, the pain we have been feeling is going to continue with the latest proposed iteration of the Eviction Moratorium. The bill would extend the moratorium for another six months during which residents are relieved of the duty to pay rent - through the end of June 2021.

Renters will have to repay all amounts owed no later than June 30, 2021 (so they say), but in the meantime, you still have to pay your mortgage, taxes and insurance, address needed repairs and upgrades - possibly with no rental income. It’s incomprehensible how they can expect us to continue to provide free housing in some cases to folks who make more than we do.

This time at least, they are proposing that residents would have to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that they have been income affected - but they still don’t have to prove a thing. Even renters who haven’t lost their jobs or suffered a reduction in income, just have to say they have. Many of us have suffered a substantial loss of income, but our pain seems to be meaningless to many of our representatives.

The only positive news about this latest effort is that they are providing rent assistance to go along with it, but it will only pay 80% of what is past due, requiring you to “forgive” the other 20%. Why can’t the renters pay the other 20%? Will our political representatives pass a bill allowing us to pay 20% less in taxes or insurance? Repairs? Utilities? Of course not!

The rent assistance funds, however, will prioritize smaller housing providers with the largest balances to prevent the larger property managers from scooping up all the money. And 80% is better than nothing.

Many of you may have renters who have paid nothing and won’t pay anything for the entire year and a quarter, only to have the renter bail on you or declare bankruptcy and wipe out the entire debt, so this may be better than the alternative, but it still isn’t fair at all.

Now is the time to make our voices heard! Contact your representatives and let them hear how this situation is affecting you. It is not helpful to bash any political party or renters in general. It is helpful for them to feel our pain.

  • Write an email or letter using the following format:            
    • Identify yourself.
    • Give your location.
    • How many rental units you own or manage.
    • Share your personal story. In describing your story, list how Oregon Legislative decisions have impacted you. They need to identify you as a person with a real-life story.
    • Send it to your local state representative. It is more powerful when it comes from a constituent.
  • Send copies to others listed below.
  • Convince two other people to write letters or emails on behalf of housing providers.
  • Send a copy of your letter or email to ORHAoffice@gmail.com

In Solidarity,
Tia Politi
ORHA Board Secretary




Find your representative using the maps below:

Oregon Legislative District Map

House District Map

Oregon State Representatives


Representative Tina Kotek - https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/kotek Oregon House Speaker

Representative Julie Fahey - https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/fahey  (District 1) on House Committee on Housing

Representative Jack Zika - http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/zika (District 2) on House Committee on Housing

Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley - merkley.senate.gov/contact (hit “connect” to get to email)

Oregon Senator Ron Wyden -  wyden.senate.gov/contact (hit “contact” to get to email)

Congressional Representatives:

Suzanne Bonamici - bonamici.house.gov/contact (District 1)

Greg Walden - walden.house.gov/contact-greg (District 2)

Earl Blumenauer - https://blumenauer.house.gov/ (District 3)

Peter Defazio - defazio.house.gov/contact (District 4)

Kurt Schrader - schrader.house.gov/contact (District 5)

Disclaimer:

Treasure Valley Rental Owners Association (TVROA) Board Members and Mentors and Office Staff do not give legal advice. Any advice or guidance does not constitute legal advice. You should seek appropriate counsel for your own situation as needed.

Proudly serving Malheur, Harney, Grant and Baker Counties.

This website uses cookies to improve the user experience of the Site and for marketing purposes.

All vendors logos and trademarks are copyrighted and trademarked per their respective companies.

TVROA is a certified Continuing Education Provider for Property Managers. Our provider number is 201221799.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software